The art of softie-making with children's drawings

First batch

Back into the groove :-). As always, I like the variety in the drawings and ideas. I’ve seen so many drawings and I am always amazed how each drawing is as unique as the child who drew it. And I am thankful for the variety – I wouldn’t be doing this otherwise.

I am taking more liberties in my softie-making, though. There’s a debate on whether the softie should be made exactly as depicted in the child’s drawing. In my humble opinion, I believe the craft artist’s interpretation is as individual as the young person who drew the drawing. Together, two artists collaborate to create a softie, each one contributing ideas and skills. Although the drawing/design belongs to the child, the design of the softie belongs to the craft artist. This also means that there are three people who have to be happy with the end result: the young artist, the craft artist (me), and of course, the person who paid for it.

by Aiden, age 7

by Alyssa, age 5

by Anson, age 5

by Anson, age 5

by Chad, age 12 (Contest Winner)

by Markus, age 18 months

by Matthew, age 3

by Riley, age 3

by Sophia, age 10by Tessa, age 6

by Townshend, age 5

Stanley Brambles

by Tessa, age 6

Februarius arrow-right
Next post

arrow-left Softiemaker Showcase
Previous post

• Susan Propp

January 31, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Reply

Great work Wendy…. Looking forward to another year of updates! May you always enjoy the end results as much as we do!

• Mandee @ Compelled By Words

February 1, 2013 at 4:19 am | Reply

I can’t wait til my kids are old enough to draw something that can be made. You do amazing work! What a great idea!

• Trina D

February 1, 2013 at 6:06 am | Reply

Wendy they are wonderful! Those little children are going to feel so special, you have brought their creations to life!

• jennifer e

February 1, 2013 at 7:21 am | Reply

love your interpretation of Markus’s little ducky. it’s so fluffy! what 18-month old wouldn’t love that. what a great keepsake.

• Michelle H

February 2, 2013 at 9:22 am | Reply

These are all amazing! You are so talented at bringing these precious drawings to life! As soon as my daughter is old enough to start drawing, I will be sending some work your way!

• Farshad

February 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Reply

Hi :)
    I’m from Iran
    I saw your idea, very cool they are!!!
    congragulations, keep continue…

• Daniel

February 5, 2013 at 11:11 am | Reply

What an incredibly cute and unique idea! Kids and parents alike will love these.

• Barbara

February 7, 2013 at 5:15 am | Reply

I like this because it keeps my children away from the tv and its cool when you draw its like your printing it but it comes out in shops. COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Barbara

February 7, 2013 at 5:20 am | Reply

THANK YOU for making my children happy i couldn’t say thank you. but if theres someting i can do late me now

• helen

February 12, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Reply

well done…good job Wendy

• Carlos

February 18, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Reply

Awesome idea! Can’t wait to use it hope your still around when I have a kid (:

• Emma's Bucket List

March 13, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Reply

I just cannot tell you how much I LOVE your creations and the way to stay true to the child’s vision. It is the most beautiful concept ever-INSPIRED!

• Donna Anderson

March 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Reply

What Great work!!!! simply AMAZING….. How much do you charge? I have 2 granddaughters, who draw all the time. This would make great B-Day presents!

• Ang

March 19, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Reply

SIMPLY AMAZING!
    What an awesome way to encourage a child’s sense of self and nurture inspiration, creativity and fun!